Child Support

Child support

The first steps to finding the ideal child support lawyer may allude you but look no further. The easiest way to a lawyer is an online investigation. From there, getting hold of an attorney who is competent, experienced and trust-worthy is prudent in seeking child support.

The ideal circumstance would be to allow the children a chance to grow up in a healthy environment; one with parental support from both spouses and a sense of normality at home. Sometimes, these exemplary circumstances are unable to become a reality. In these cases, the court will determine the parties’ child support obligations.

Our goal is to encourage the growth of a child for all parties involved. In any of these situations, both parents are still expected to provide assistance for their children and meet all their daily needs including shelter, food, and clothing. However, there are instances where the non-custodial parent (the one who does not have physical custody of the child) alleges he is unable to meet his support obligations pursuant to a child support court order. In this scenario, the non-custodial parent risks contempt of court, which could result in imprisonment. Where the non-custodial parent is employed, the court can refer child support default orders to the Support Collection Unit (SCU) where his or her income is executed against and child support sent directly by SCU to the custodial parent.

To make sure that child support is correctly handled call (718) 309-5662 between 10am-10pm, 7 days a week.

Child support is determined under the “Child Support Standards Act”(CSSA). The amount of child support is based on the adjusted gross income of the non-custodial parent (the one who does not have physical custody of the child), generally without consideration to the income of the custodial parent. Adjusted gross income is calculated by deducting from gross income: social security taxes, Medicare taxes paid and NYC taxes paid; then multiplied by the appropriate child support percentages below:

  • 17% for one child;
  • 25% for two children;
  • 29% for three children;
  • 31% for four children;
  • No less than 35% for five or more children.

Child support continues until age 21, unless sooner emancipated such as marriage, military service, full-time employment, permanent residence away from the custodial parent, and the death of a child.

Child support paid is not tax deductible to the payor and is not taxable income to the payee.

You can call me at (718) 309-5662 to make a no-obligation appointment or just talk to me, 7 days a week, from 10am to 10pm.